Descent and landing

Hi, I’ve had this heli for a few days. My first and must say its a beauty and very fiesty too. Not using auto governor and mostly on realistic settings, taking off and landing is 50% successful up from 0% just a few days ago. Once in the air, its quite tame and flies nicely almost like on auto pilot once properly trimmed.

So I am just curious to find out what settings should be used for descent and landing. For me, it starts off in a very slow controlled descent which out of nowhere transforms into a scary roller coaster ride closer to the ground. I was under the impression that ground effect is supposed to cushion an aircraft but i find controlling it under ground effect much more difficult than when higher up. Please dont judge, am very new to helis.
Thank you

Much the same experience here after purchase yesterday. Helicopter pilots always used to criticise fixed wing pilots saying we were all about numbers! Must admit I could do with some approach settings. Perhaps it will just click.

Yeah i think it just clicks. Atleast thats how it happened for me. Im still far from competent but i manage to hit the ground in a somewhat controlled fashion most times.

Two things Ive picked up over time that have helped include being conscious of slow descents with a low forward speed as you can quickly lose lift. Catches you out. I believe theres a term for it that im forgetting right now. So i usually try to plan a bit ahead of time so i can begin descending some way out so as not to descend at a large angle.

The 2nd thing is to cushion the landing by adding a bit of collective in the last few feet of descent. Exactly how much and when is a judgement call. Practice makes it better.

So right about fixed wing flying being about numbers. Helis seem so much more about feel.

If you’re flying in VR don’t stare at the ground on landing, pick a spot in the distance on the horizon then use your peripheral and you’ll land almost perfect nearly every time :slight_smile:

Tony

3 Likes

Tony, top tip. It has made that ‘last second going backwards’ go away. At least when I break myself of the habit of looking at where I want to put it. Cheers.

1 Like