Starting the 206

I have had the 206 since minute one. I’ve watched a load of videos and read the manual but…
Out of minimum of 200 starts (I’m guessing) I have only had two starts that didn’t end up ‘hot’. On those two occasions I thought I had it nailed. Wrong!
However gently I feed in the throttle (I have a Thrustmaster throttle, One axis is assigned to collective and the other to throttle. Both work in the right direction. When I get to the point where the idle lock is released all hell breaks loose and a hot start is the result. I must have spent several million dollars on new engines!
What-is-the-secret?
I’m using the ‘Realistic’ setting.
I’m betting I’m not alone.

BAT on. Throttle at 0%. Press and hold STARTER button and watch GAS PRODUCER (N1) until it reaches 15% When it does, add THROTTLE till IDLE REL pops up (No further) Continue to hold STARTER and leave THROTTLE where it is (~30%) until N1 reaches 58%. Release STARTER. Wait 1 Minute. Advance THROTTLE to 70% Turn on GENERATOR (overhead panel) Smoothly add THROTTLE up to to 100% while Simultaneously keeping TORQUE below 40%

RotorRick

Thanks Rick. You know what did it? Two little words = (no further). :+1:
One happy bunny.

2 Likes

Glad I could help out!

RotorRick

Back again. As they say, ‘One swallow does not a summer make’ I got one good start and I was cock-a-hoop. I really thought I’d got it.
As gently as I roll the throttle to idle and NO FURTHER it still gallops off to the Hot start territory. I only way I can get any flying in is ‘Ignore’.
I’ve been kidding myself I’m not dumb but I’ve been proven wrong.
Retired hurt.

1 Like

I am having the same trouble, as soon as it pops it hot starts. Reading the app, it mentions a check box in flight model but I cannot expand the app window to reveal said check box. I love flying it!! You’ve done a brilliant job.

Follow this EXACTLY…!!

BAT on. Throttle at 0%. Press and hold STARTER button and watch GAS PRODUCER (N1) until it reaches 15% When it does, add THROTTLE till IDLE REL pops up (No further) Continue to hold STARTER and leave THROTTLE where it is (~30%) until N1 reaches 58%. Release STARTER. Wait 1 Minute. Advance THROTTLE to 70% Turn on GENERATOR (overhead panel) Smoothly add THROTTLE up to to 100% while Simultaneously keeping TORQUE below 40%

RotorRick

Hi Ron, same here in realistic mode - Gas Producer at 15% as soon as the idle stop pops up, I hold throttle position and EGT soars off the limit everytime. The second part of the start ie. winding up the throttle to 100% is fine, it’s the light up that causes the issue. I’ve not managed a non-hot start yet. Also using a Thrustmaster axis to control the throttle.

I follow this exactly. I have done two methods. Using the mapped axis as described in the manual and with keyboard strokes. As soon as it pops hot start. I really think it might be because I cannot click that checkbox as stated in the app. Regards Dan.

What checkbox? There is NO governor checkbox, that’s likely a leftover from the Bell 47.
Try going to our Discord server, lots of folks there can show you or you can stream your start and they can tell you what you are doing incorrectly.

RotorRick

Hello! I have followed the instructions to startup the B206 at 100% I also do get the Hot Start warning, and the throttle percentage is shown in the message at 25%. Nevertheless I tilt the axis for the throttle JUST until the Idle Release pops, I always get the readout at 25-26%. I was flying the Dodosim 206 in FSX quite excessively. Is there a way to program an idle release button, similar to the dodosim? One had to turn the throttle over the idle release and could not turn it back until you hit the assigned idle release button. Otherwise the idle release with the flyinside B206 should be reviewed, since it really releases very late!

Best Regards!
Martin

We will be adding an Idle Rel off binding next week. The code here was written for folks that dont have one and do not want to be bothered with a mouse click. I have a physical idle rel on my collective, so don’t experience the issue. Stand by… it will be out early next week.

RotorRick

2 Likes

I’ve nailed it! Yes, I thought that before. This time I can get a good start every time.
I have the throttle assigned to an axis. The trick is to roll the throttle to the very point at which the idle rel clicks. Then roll it back to juuuust before it clicks. Then when you get the dreaded 15% nudge the throttle so the idle release pops.Immediately snatch your hand away. Tada! It says to me the that area is simple too sensitive.
Up. up and away. :grinning:

1 Like

Ron - thank you, that works for me!!!

Thank you Rick! This will make things much smoother!
And thank you once more for such a great Model! I really enjoy flying the 206!

Best regards
Martin

Another day and I’m back to hot start everytime… At 25% throttle I get light up, but then immediate hot start. At 24% it shuts down. It’s really frustrating as I would love to master this.

Try 29-30%. Could be the throttle you are using isn’t quite spot on.

Let me know!

RotorRick

Following. I’m having the same issue as others. I’m on a Virpil Collective.

1 Like

You need to roll in enough throttle for the idle release button to click immediately upon reaching 15%. If you hesitate even for a second or two you’ll hot start it.

I don’t know how accurate that is? Seems not great that if you were actually two seconds too slow to roll up the throttle you could cook the engine, but that’s how it is in-game at least.

Gotta hear the click right at 15% n1 and it’ll start up fine every time.

A big issue with the 206 in the real world, very easy to cook the helicopter if you don’t follow the procedure closely.

Note that you don’t need to worry about being precise with the click. You can wind the throttle fully open right at 15%, the fuel controller won’t inject any extra fuel until 58% when the burn becomes self-sustaining. So you can:

1. Close throttle
  2. Engage starter
  3. Fully open throttle at N1 15%. Just don’t be slow
  4. Roll it back to ~30% before reaching 58%
  5. Continue as normal
1 Like