Controls too laggy

In VR with the Quest 2 I find it very responsive as well and don’t notice any lag ( no extension tube just yet so a stock Warthog )

It’s the same with both my custom cyclic and warthog.
I’ve only tried the DA-20 and Pitts (aircrafts which I’ve flown, although it’s been 20 years since I’ve flown a Pitts) and no noticable delays in either.

I’ve three different sticks and each has about 250ms lag in the 47g with VR Quest 1 and G2. The arduino DIY stick is a tiny bit more responsive.

I’m peeking through the headset’s nose hole and lining up my hand on the real cyclic with the 2d TV view of the cyclic and the the internal VR view of the cyclic. It’s like watching a 1980’s music video or when you plug your camera into the tv and point the camera at the TV :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

FWIW: I see a substantial lag in VR (only way I have flown it but I’ll try the other way tomorrow) as well to the point it is really difficult to hover. Like impossible on realistic. I have to set it to easy and mess with the control sensitivity to fly it. It is fun once you get going, and the 3D model is spot on cosmetically. I second @Implicit observations.

1 Like

Hi Tony, thanks for the response. Sorry for the delay - Ive been away from my pc for a while.

At this point, I am not at all convinced the controller input lag issue is specific to the Bell 47. I think it is just more obvious in a helicopter. I definitely see a substantial stick lag in fixed wing as well.

If it is unclear for anyone, the best way to notice what we are talking about is to move the stick quickly as possible a litle bit then hold it still while watching the screen image of the stick.

I did some googling and found out there can be input lag issues with Vsync, so I have been looking at that as a variable. I am almost convinced that is what my issue is about, but it is very hard to be certain because of all the variables. I think I am seeing substantially less input lag with my MSFS vsync off, and Nvidia app-specific set to adaptive. There still seems to be some, but less and perhaps little enough to not be a problem.

Unfortunately, I am seeing some tearing with my graphics.

Thanks for looking into this…I have had a blast in the aircraft!

1 Like

Hi all,

Having purchased the FlyInside Bell 47G a few days ago and tested it in MSFS, I can say that I have really mixed feelings, especially regarding its flight handling.

I have flown many helicopters in X-Plane, Dreamfoil B407 and AS350 as well as the default R22 and 206, and Dodo 206 in FSX, and I have also been involved in creating and optimizing many flight models for HTR (Helicopter Total Realism) plugin for FSX.

I also had one RL flight in an R22 some years ago, having got the controls for some of the time. Surely my RL experience is non-existing compared to the OP’s, so I think I have come to the right place.

My perception for this Bell 47 is that it’s reacting too slowly to cyclic inputs. I mean, it seems it’s reacting to inputs like it has much more inertia/mass than its size suggests. Also it’s like it has something like an almost deadzone in the center of the cyclic, even if the virtual cyclic seems to be moving in a small central radius.

The effect is that it’s needing larger cyclic motions to respond properly and that seems to make it difficult to control it precisely. Many times I find myself overshooting in realistic mode. This happens even after I adjust both FSUIPC axes curves (no deadzone of course).

I don’t have this issue with any of the above mentioned helicopters. X-Plane R22, 206, Dreamfoil 407, even the Dreamfoil AS350, which is a handful, I can control and hover with extreme precision as they are pretty quick to respond to even slight cyclic inputs. Xplane control settings to 0 stability, and these heli’s are extremely responsive. The Bell 47 seems way unresponsive to small inputs in contrast. Seems like its roll or pitch movements are too slow, not really delayed, but slow, that’s the best way I can describe it.

I don’t want to bash this heli, it is really wonderful work, I just would like to either help make it better, or someone who has RL experience to say to me “shut up newbie, this is the way this heli flies” or “yes, Xplane helicopters are un-realistically responsive” :slight_smile:

Best regards

2 Likes

Hi @nikaslan and welcome aboard.

I suspect that the biggest difference between the ones you have flown previously and the 47G is the fact that the latter has no hydraulic assistance. Imagine driving a car without power-assisted steering and that should perhaps provide some idea of the effect that would have on handling.

The development team does include a RL B47G pilot with over 2,500 hours, so I’d tend to trust that it is as close as a sim can get to the RL version.

Cheers

Paul

Edit: Just out of interest, what controller are you using for the cyclic?

He he, this falls to the “shut up newbie” category :grin:

For cyclic I use a Logitech G940 (FB) stick without power, so no centering force, and for collective/throttle a Virpil MC3 unit. Oh and the G940 pedals, of course.

1 Like

…but at least I was very polite about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I probably deserved the “shut up newbie” reply (polite indeed :stuck_out_tongue: ), but…

One thing I have missed till now was that the Heli Manager had the option to set your custom sensitivity settings. I had scrolled until the “Enable Engine Failures” option, didn’t understood that there was more below, so “newbie” label accepted. :slight_smile:

Remember I talked about things like “unresponsiveness to small inputs” and “something like an almost deadzone in the center of the cyclic”?

Well, the moment I set cyclic sensitivity to 100 these things suddenly disappeared! The heli became responsive and I can control it very precisely now. Hovering and landing in restricted spaces is confident and precise. Tail stability remained to 0 and Heli Stability to 5.

Happy camper (and customer) now, I am leaving you to continue flying in the fjords.

2 Likes

yup Slartibartfast did a great job “doing the fiddly bits and fjords”. :slight_smile:

The 47G2 has hydraulics. Not sure why the bypass switch isn’t modelled on this one, but it’s besides the point. It’s hydraulic assists, so you still have a direct link to the swashplate, just as on the Bell 206, etc, so that you are still able to fly, should the hydraulics fail…and I have flown the G2 without hydraulics and it doesn’t fly any different. You need a lot more strength, but it doesn’t change how it flies…just how much force you need to move the stick.
Earliest models of the Bell 47 didn’t have hydraulics, but I as far as I know they all got retrofitted with it. Along the same lines, the earliest were hand cranked when starting up.

Also the R22 has no hydraulics, as far as I’m aware, so it’s really a moot argument.

It is really disappointing that Flyinside hasn’t responded to this issue at all.
They’ve gotten the same feedback from multiple RL pilots and have chosen to ignore it.

1 Like

All 47’s are different, every single one. Hydraulic assist was an option not a retrofit as such. And yes the 22 is linkage control only, no hydraulics.

Tony

It wasn’t an option on the earlier ones and it’s infinitely more comfortable to fly with hydraulics.
Regardless, it makes zero difference in a sim unless you have FFB and shouldn’t even come into the discussion regarding control lag.

OK Jakob, let’s get back on topic.

I have a TM Warthog, the use of which does not appear to result in any lag whatsoever.

As you appear to have a TM Warthog that does result in you experiencing lag, then can you think of anything that might be causing this apparent discrepancy?

For a starter, I’ve included a screenshot of my sensitivity settings below.

Oh, and I also have a 20cm extension fitted to my joystick.

Cheers

Paul

None.
I have both a Warthog with a 15cm extension and a custom cyclic, which is modelled to resemble a 206 cyclic in terms of feel. (Using Freejoy). These work perfectly fine in Xplane, DCS and AF2.
I have the settings as indicated in your screenshot.
I have ~45fps in VR.
I can post all my specs, but again, I have zero issues in DCS, Xplane or AF2.
I think you need to make a utility that displays the the swash plate input that the FM gets and compare that to the DirectX USB input and measure the lag, because something is clearly broken.

and yet Jakob, as I have stated, I see no noticeable lag with what appears to be, more or less, exactly the same controller setup.

I suppose it could be my eyes not being as sensitive to the lag you are seeing, but I have just spent a fair amount of time watching the physical and virtual sticks, on my monitors and also in VR, moving in what looks like perfect unison, when I move the physical controller.

Just out of interest, are you sure that you aren’t seeing this lag on other MSFS aircraft, as @ScarecrowOH58 appears to be suggesting that he has?

Also, in a post on May 3, you appear to be suggesting that the lag is worse in VR than it is in 2D. Have I understood that correctly?

Cheers

Paul

Same here with my Warthog both in VR and on the monitor, and also with/without my extension.

Are you one of the developers?

no, i’m just a volunteer forum mod, with an inquisitive mind. :slight_smile:

By the way, if you have an Nvidia GPU, how do you have the ‘Virtual Reality - Pre-rendered frames’ setting set? There’ll probably be a similar setting for AMD GPU, but if it’s set too high, it will delay the effects of any user inputs being displayed. That might be worth checking, especially as it can vary from game to game, as well as having a global/default setting.